4:04 PM

You Inspire Me

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

There is a girl who I work with, Liz. She sits directly across from me and for a very long time it we were the only 2 in our entire pod of 6 :) She is married to Mark and they have a 23 month old son, Grant. We, of course, share a ton of stories and I pump her for advice all the time. When it comes down to Kaleb in his own room I wanted her advice. Grant sleeps in his bed. How did she do it?

Get this. He has slept in his own room, in his big boy crib since day 1 from the hospital. It is amazing she has that kind of willpower! When I asked how long she rocked him before she cut off that routine and switched to the story book routine she said "never". He has always laid in his own bed, no rocking needed. Brian and I decided they are our sleep inspiration. Seriously. They should write a book. I know a ton of the girls at my work (imagine 99% of them) have co-sleeping issues. I do not want to be these parents. I don't want to share a bunk bed with my first grader.

With our hopes set high we decided to take the advice of my mom and Liz. We noticed Kaleb was cranky and hadn't slept in a while. Bathed. Check. Bottle. Check. Diaper. Check. Pacifier. Got it. We laid him down, wide awake, tucked him in and closed the door. We only pretended to leave. Come on people- we are not super human! We both crouched down next to his bed and peeked through his bumper and watched him go to sleep. It took all of about 4 minutes. We wanted to be sure so we stayed 15 minutes. It's a wonder we didn't wake him up. We laughed the whole time wondering if we are going to be this crazy about our other children. We watched our shows and cuddled up next to the Christmas tree. We listened to his deep breathing on our monitor until it was time for us to go to bed.

Road block. I was in bed for all of an hour listening to him rustle around and I could not take it anymore. I know he was asleep but he was making little baby sleep noises and I couldn't see what he was doing. Next, I lost my willpower. I took the sleeping baby from his crib and carried him to our room and into his bassinet. Bad mom, I know. My sister-in-law Becky suggested getting one of those tiny cameras that you can clip onto the crib and it reaches our television. We can leave it on all night and when he makes noise I can see him on the television. Brian agreed I won't get very far on our gig if I can't see him at night. We will keep trying until I get my video thing... I know I can do this :) Kaleb sleeps so much better in his nice, quiet room. It's me who needs the inspiration!

I wonder if it will be possible for him to take the monitor and camera to his college dorm? Hmmmmm.....


Here are a few pictures of my boys on Turkey Day. Yes, they match. I could seriously bite them! I hope he pays this much attention to us when he is older!
Kaleb's face cracks me up in this one!

1 comments:

Jessica Shanks said...

Just keep up your routine and put him down as you see him getting sleepy....he'll be fine and it will get easier for you the more you do it. Be strong! Riley has been in her big girl bed for about 3 weeks now and I know that if we can do it, you can do it!