11:24 AM

Mamaw Burns

Tuesday, June 23,2009

I have a ton of stuff to blog about so I guess I'll start from last Thursday. I'm picking up Kaleb from the sitter and getting ready to head over to visit Dani & Ava. Brian doesn't get home until late and Mikie is in stationed in Virginia so we like to spend our afternoon's hanging out and letting the babies play. Brian calls me frantic telling me to go to Fairfield Mercy that something happened to Mamaw Burns and he's on his way there now. I say a quick prayer and throw a bag together for Kaleb and meet Brian at the hospital.

I have no idea if she fell or if it was something more serious...I pull up to the hospital and catch site of Derek's face (my BIL). It's bad, I can tell that now, really bad. She's in Trauma 1 and they are getting ready to transfer her to UC to the Neuro ICU. I position myself just close enough to the nurses station to hear the report. She's on a vent, unresponsive in the field, CT scans show a massive brain hemorrhage. She did great on the transfer but the doctor's gave us no chance of a recovery. Mamaw wouldn't want to live like that, she passed away at 9:30 pm on June 18,2009.

All-in-all it was a peaceful passing. She told her husband she felt hot and wanted to lay down. He couldn't wake her up so he called the squad. For a intensive purposes she passed in her sleep. No pain. No sickness. Oh what an outstanding faith Mamaw had and I cannot begin to imagine the JOY she is feeling now that she's in Heaven with the Lord and her beautiful son (who passed away a month before I met Brian). Although I expected a struggle for Brian he was at peace with her passing. She got to meet me, she got to know our son. She always told me, "Oh Ericka. My baby has a baby..."

Kathleen Burns, age 75 of Fairfield passed away at University of Cincinnati Hospital on Thursday, June 18, 2009 at 9:30 PM. She was born in Clay County, Kentucky on June 24, 1933 the daughter of Bob and Ina (Wagers) Thompson. Kathleen was a member of Pentecostal Highway of Holiness. On February 9, 1952 in Manchester, Kentucky she married Merda Burns.

She is survived by her husband, Merda Burns of Fairfield; a daughter, Irma Gail (Larry) Peters of Hamilton; four grandchildren, Jennifer (Rev. Donald) Pierce of Fairfield, Derek (Becky) Peters of Fairfield, Brian (Ericka) Peters of Colerain, and Alisha Abney of Hamilton; six great-grandchildren; a brother, Gillis (Wealthy) Thompson of London, Kentucky; three sisters, Eunice Holcomb of Cumberland, Kentucky, Janet (David) Parmon of Leesburg, Florida, and Judy Baker of London, Kentucky; a daughter-in-law, Wanda Burns of Hamilton; and numerous nieces, nephews, other relatives and friends. She was preceded in death by her parents; a son, Butch Burns; and two brothers, Charles and Robert Thompson.

We took that picture on Mother's Day. I'm so glad we did now. We have a ton of pictures of her and Kaleb. Brian is so thankful now that I am so camera-happy. He promised to always pose in the future without complaints. The funeral Monday was tough but provided some closure. Please continue to pray for the family.

I'll post separately of birthday/Father's day stuff. Mamaw deserves her own post.

0 comments: