11:35 AM

I need to Vent

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Parenting is stressful. You really underestimate how much someone will need you constantly. I mean, you never realize when you are pregnant that after this baby comes you probably won't ever go to the bathroom with the door closed again. You stress about breast vs bottle, bedtime routines, too much sugar, eating right, potty training, temper tantrums and doctor's appointments. I find myself constantly wondering if we're doing enough? Then you get an example of some horrible parenting and realize, "Yeah. I got this."

We live in an apartment on the top floor where you share a common entrance. We only have 1 other family on our floor so it stays pretty quiet up here. Saturday morning Kaleb and I got up early (around 9ish) when I heard a girl's voice. I ignored it for a few minutes and then went to investigate. I saw our neighbor's daughter playing on the landing right outside our door. She is 5 months older than Kaleb. When I asked where her Mommy was she told me inside. I knocked a few times with no answer so I went ahead and opened the door. Her parents were asleep on a mattress on the living room floor. I was extra quiet when I picked her up and put her back inside the living room and told her to please stay inside until they wake up and then she could come over and play with Kaleb later.

I wasn't even inside the door when she came running back out. My mom mode kicked in... what do you do in the situation? I can't leave her in the hall. She could fall down the stairs, get abducted, choke, ANYTHING this girl is 2 years old people! I brought her into our apartment and gave her a snack while I tried to call both parent's phones. Nothing. So I marched over to her parents house and beat on the door for a few minutes. Still nothing.

Now don't get me wrong, I have caught a few extra minutes on the couch while Kaleb played quietly on the floor or watched cartoons. But to have someone inside your house? or your daughter outside the house? Ugh. I was stuck.

So I put her back into her house and told her to go wake up Mommy while I knocked on the door. She didn't wake her up but it did finally get the mom's attention. While I was beating on the door, the little girl was trying to open it from the inside while I held it closed. Her screaming (because she couldn't get back out) finally woke them up and I heard the mom lock the deadbolt. So I knocked harder.

She finally answered and had that embarrassing, "I found your child wandering the halls and I've been keeping her company while you nap in the livingroom" talk. Nice. I just cannot understand that happening. You have children, forget to lock the dead bolt and never notice they are gone?

Yeah. I'm going to go a little easier on myself from now on in the parenting department.

Speaking of bad parenting... I'm sure this guy's parents aren't too proud right now. Or maybe they are, who knows?

That is Chase Utley, second baseman for the Phillies. And a cheater.  

The Cincinnati Red's finally made it to the playoffs after 15 years of waiting. If you do the math, I was 10 years old the last time they even went to a playoff, let alone WON the World Series (that was 1990, if you were wondering and I was only 5 years old). Being the die-hard baseball and football junkie I am this weekend was spent watching them lose to the Phillies. And we deserved to lose based on the way we played with a ton of errors and not a lot of hitting.

And that is just fine. I am proud that they made it in the first place. We are a very young team and it was just our luck we played the World Series winner last year. However, in Game 2 the Red's had an awesome 4-0 lead. Our lead slowly slipped away heading into the 5th inning and we were down 3-4 with Mr.Utley representing the tying run.


That is Chapman. Our rookie pitcher who on average throws over 100 mph. He pitched one to Utley high and inside... in the confusion the umpire was under the impression Utley was hit by his pitch and gave him the base. But after reviewing the tape, it NEVER hit him. NEVER. The sound the umpire heard was the ball tipping off our catcher's glove. AND Utley NEVER corrected him. He just took his base, knowing he didn't get hit. I mean, if you get hit by a 102 mph fastball (which is what that particular pitch was clocked at) you would know it.

Utley went on to be called safe at 2nd base (after review he was out) and there were a few arguments he never touched 3rd as he was heading home to score the tying run. Obviously, that one error on the umpire's part could've changed the game or even the playoffs. If you believe in karma, Chase Utley has it coming.

Come on Utley. You are a WORLD SERIES champion. My son wears his Phillies hat (that we got a Shriners) around everywhere. You don't get a lot of chances to cheat in baseball and that is exactly what he did. And what does that teach all those doe-eyed boys dreaming of being there one day? That cheating is okay, as long as it wins you the game and you don't get caught until afterward.

If that we're my son, we'd be having a very long conversation about the clear-cut difference between right and wrong. Because there are things in life more important than winning a game.

Shame on you Utley.

Okay my baseball/bad parenting vent is over. Whew. I feel much better now.


Kaleb is 2 years old and hopefully if he decides to play baseball will be more like Jim Abbott than Chase Utley.
Kamryn is 2 months & could care less about baseball right now.










1 comments:

Jessica Shanks said...

LMAO I loooove the "if that were my son" comment about chase utley. And the story about the neighbors is just plain scary I can't even imagine.