6:59 PM

Kamryn & Stuff

Thursday, December 16, 2010


I know I have one gigantic update that needs to be done and to make it easier I’m going to divide it into two, one blog for each child. Ladies first :) my sweet baby girl will be 5 months in a few days. She’s rolling both ways, talking up a storm, sleeping like a hibernating grizzly, drooling like crazy and giving us a few premature grey hairs these last few weeks.

About a week before Kamryn’s routine 4 month appointment she developed a few unexplained fevers but had no other obvious symptoms. We did fever control and got her into the doctor right away. I thought maybe the ears? No, not red at all. The doctor confirmed by observation of no symptoms. She still had a ravenous appetite, an abundance of wet and dirty diapers and a very happy overall attitude despite the fevers.

She sent me that same day for blood work and to get a urine specimen to rule out infection and the chance of UTI (urinary tract infection). As soon as I heard those letter’s I cringed. Seriously, I did. I have watched my poor sister suffer for YEARS with constant UTI’s… I mean constant. Come to find out we have a family history of a condition called urinary reflux.

With normal urination, the bladder contracts and urine leaves the body through the urethra. With vesicoureteral reflux, some urine goes back up into the ureters and possibly up to the kidneys. Reflux exposes the kidneys to infection. In children, particularly those in the first 6 years of life, urinary infection can cause kidney damage. The injury to the kidney may result in renal scarring and loss of future growth potential or widespread scarring and atrophy. Even a small area of scarring in one kidney may be a cause of high blood pressure later in life. Untreated reflux on both sides can, in the most severe instances, result in kidney failure requiring dialysis or kidney transplantation. (I got that info here).

Yikes. So the plan is basically clear this UTI with antibiotics and then schedule her for 2 tests, a VCUG and renal ultrasound. You can read about the tests on that same site above. We go this Tuesday for those tests. When I took Kamryn to the hospital for her repeat cath (to make sure the UTI had cleared) we must have grabbed some sort of 24-hour bug. By 6 p.m. that night I was hugging a toilet bowl for the first, and with hope, the last time this winter season. It started around 5:15 pm when I was trying to make dinner. I noticed something was really wrong when I was resting my head inside the freezer to cool down. I told B to take over and so began my night in the bathroom...

I think I took 146 baths and ran us out of hot water over and over and over again. It was the ONLY thing that seemed to ease the stomach cramping. Kamryn slept all night in her crib and Kaleb was in bed with Brian, so they all shared one room. When I finally felt okay the next morning around 5:45 Brian got up to give the baby her morning bottle. She took all 5 ounces and immediately threw the entire thing up. She had a fever so poor Brian had to step in again.

I called my mom to let her know Brian was going to drop Kaleb on the way to Children's with Kamryn. Fever and vomiting in a 4 month old needed a check, for my own piece of mind. I wrote every detail I could think of on a card and gave it to B with our insurance card. Bags packed they headed off by 6:30 am into a cold, snowy-rain-sleet mix of a morning.

I took some medicine, said a prayer for B and the babies and headed off to sleep for the first time in 36 hours. My dad decided to ride with B to the ER so I'm sure you can imagine the hilarity that ensued with this dad-grandpa duo taking baby girl to the hospital. Oh. my. gosh. Brain said by the time the 3rd nurse came in she asked him who Kamryn's PCP was and he couldn't remember her last name, she started laughing and told him, "You're doing good dad. It's okay, she was just here for a cath, we'll just use that information." She said they VERY rarely see dad's doing this type of heavy lifting when it comes to the kids. I'm pretty proud of B. 

She was fine. She had the same thing as me and got sick randomly over the next 6 days. Seriously, like every 3rd feed she'd be sick. But the doc said it was normal and we all survived. It's kind of insane what daddy's will do for their girls. I love it.

Kamryn had her 4 month appointment and got a great report. She was in the 70th percentile weighing in at 14 pounds, 7 ounces. Kaleb was already 17 pounds, 9 ounces at his 4 month appointment {88%). However, Kamryn is holding her own in the height department at 25 1/2 inches which was off the percentile page {99+%} and Kaleb was 25 3/4 {81%}. I have some long babies, thank you Brian.

Kamryn has such a fun, bubbly personality. She is smiling constantly. She wakes up cooing and talking, never a cry or scream. She is fiercely independent already, using her legs to thrust herself upright into sitting position. See....





She is always doing that! In her swing, hi-chair, boppy, play mat... everywhere! Since our stubborn daughter insists on sitting up, I wish she would go ahead and actually learn how to do that so I don't have to worry so much. 

We got the go-ahead to start solid foods back on her 4 month appointment. We have tried a few things and she honestly hates every second of it. She spits everything I've given her back out over and over again making a yucky face, squirming around, doing her best to sit up. She did enjoy a bit of mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving so I am optimistic. I think I might give her a break these next 2 weeks and then start over fresh. As many of you know, I am unrealistically picky. Like, to the point I'm annoying and an inconvenience. Ugh, I pray I do not have children like that, it's a curse.

Kamryn is still my ultimate sleeper, going down around 9:00 pm. She wakes only once at 6:00 am to eat, and finally we hear her singing over the monitor around 10:30 am... sometimes 11:00 am. Yeah, she's that good. She then is usually back to sleep by noon, taking her 1 of 3 naps for the day. They last about an hour, sometimes longer. I frequently find her asleep on her mat, in the swing or hi-chair. We just carry her back to bed, she sleeps like a grizzly. Frequently, Kaleb is dancing, singing, whistling, shouting, clapping, stomping, rattling and talking up a storm around her. She is unfazed.

She is teething now. It is horrible, plus the recall on those teething tablets I used so much with Kaleb means less comfort for Kamryn. Poor girl. If she wasn't drooling or gnawing, you'd never know it.  She loves baths. She is nuts for her daddy. She will sit with Kaleb all day long, laughing, watching him wherever he goes. She has the worst case of stranger anxiety ever. I mean, it's bad. I hate that for her  us because sometimes Mama needs a break too =)



She is growing like a weed and is such a joy to have around. Seriously, I am very blessed! We have some awesome new toys to give Kami at Christmas and I'm so excited to see her learn and interact. She is starting to turn into this little human with her own unique personality. 



And I am loving every minute of it. 

Kaleb is almost 2 1/4.
Kamryn is just days shy of 5 months.


{Update: I had this ready to post Sunday, but just now got my computer to upload the pictures. Kamryn did wonderful at her testing :) We got a call from our doctor later that evening with the results. Basically Kami has a very mild version of the reflux and she should out grow it by 6 months. To prevent any further infections while it's growing she will be on a very low dose antibiotic constantly for 6 months, until we can retest and make sure it's gone. Don't worry, I reviewed all my concerns of everything from long term effects to developing immunities and I'm confident this plan will work well for our buggy. Thank goodness. Prayers answered!}

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

get those legs up and open but take the diaper off let's see pussy

Anonymous said...

would you have pics like that but naked please?